Veggie packed enchiladas with our Signature Tomato Sauce are out of this world good. The veggie filling makes it healthier than most, while still imparting the flavors and textures that we've come to love in an enchilada!
Misteka Veggie Enchiladas
Veggie packed enchiladas with Misteka's Signature Tomato Sauce are out of this world good. The veggie filling makes it healthier than most, while still imparting the flavors and textures that we've come to love in an enchilada!
- Rectangular 9” x 13” casserole dish or glass cake pan. Plus another casserole dish in case you need more room for more enchiladas.
- Foil or casserole dish lid.
- Small 8” Cast Iron Skillet
- Large Skillet
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil divided
- 24 Ounces Cremini Mushrooms cleaned, sliced and divided
- 3 Medium Zucchini quartered lengthwise , and sliced ¼”
- 9 Ounces Soyrizo
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano dried
- 16 Corn Tortillas
- 1 Cup of Canola or Vegetable Oil for partial frying of the tortillas
- 4 Cups Misteka Signature Tomato Sauce
- 1 Pouch of Violife Mixed Cheese Shreds
For The Filling
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 Tablespoon olive oil, when hot, add in the zucchini and ½ teaspoon salt, and mix, allowing the zucchini to also brown and release it’s water for 5-7 minutes. Reserve into a large bowl. Add in the remaining olive oil, and add half of the mushrooms. Allow to brown, and release their water for about 5 minutes before adding the remaining mushrooms, remaining salt, pepper, and oregano. Cook for 5 minutes more, until most of the liquid from the mushrooms have evaporated and the edges of the mushrooms have browned. When there is no water in the bottom of the pan, add in the soy chorizo, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Mix thoroughly, add the zucchini back into the pan, and cook for 3-5 minutes until warmed thoroughly. Remove from heat and set aside.
For The Enchiladas
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Prepare a large plate and line with paper towels. In a small cast iron skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the tortillas one at a time, flipping with tongs after 5 seconds. Cook for another 5 seconds on the opposite side, drain, and set on a paper towel-lined plate to continue draining. Top with another paper towel, so there's a paper towel in-between each tortilla. Repeat with the remaining tortillas. This helps prevent the tortilla from breaking. The fat helps hydrate the tortilla and the heat helps tighten up it’s structure making it more durable and less prone to break or tear when rolling.
- Put 1 cup of Misteka Signature Sauce on the bottom of a 9” x 13” casserole dish. Take ¼ cup of the vegetable mixture, and roll up in a tortilla. Place it seam side down in the casserole dish, and repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling. If you can’t fit them all in the casserole dish, find an additional small oven-safe dish to use. Top the tortillas with the remaining sauce, ensuring to cover the surface of all of the exposed tortilla, cover tightly with foil, and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, until bubbly. Top with the cheese down the center of each row of enchiladas, cover with foil, and return to the oven for 8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted to your liking. Vegan cheese needs appropriate steam in order to melt well, so covering the dish back up with foil after you top with cheese is imperative with this step.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with all the fixings: Mexican/Spanish rice, refried beans, salad, guacamole, pico de gallo, and vegan sour cream!