These Vegan Sloppy Joes are a tribute to not only your inner child, but to those parents who looked to the Sloppy Joes as a quick meal to feed their families. We’ve gotten more health conscious, watching how much saturated fat we consume, keeping our bad cholesterol (LDL) levels lower. These delicious sandwiches make use of lentils, which are not only packed with fiber and protein, but with loads of great nutrients too. Walnuts also offer support with their healthy omega-3 fatty acids, and vitamin E, which help protect our skin from harsh elements and moisturize from within.
Vegan Sloppy Joes
- ¼ Cup Distilled White Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Salt divided
- 2 Teaspoons Sugar
- ½ Cup Red Onion sliced
- 1 Cup Dry Lentils soaked overnight
- ½ Cup Walnuts roughly chopped
- 2 Cups Misteka Signature Tomato Sauce
- ½ Cup Water
- ½ Cup Pickle Chips
- 4-6 Large Hamburger Buns
- The night before, or the morning of, make sure to soak your lentils in 3 cups of filtered water. This softens them up for the recipe, and cuts down on the time you have to have to cook them to make them soft. Soak for at least 2 - 3 hours, but if you can soak them even longer, that would be best. If you forget or don’t have time, you can still make the recipe, but add an additional half cup of water for a total of one cup, along with the sauce, lentils and walnuts before simmering.
- In a small bowl, add vinegar, ¼ teaspoon salt, and sugar, mixing until the salt and sugar are dissolved, then add in the sliced onion. Toss to coat and let sit while you make the Sloppy Joes. Toss regularly to ensure even pickling.
- In a medium pot over medium-high heat, add the tomato sauce, lentils, walnuts, water, and remaining salt (¾ teaspoon). Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to medium-low and cover with a lid. Simmer for 25 minutes, stirring often, replacing the lid between stirrings.
- When the lentils are soft, remove from heat, and build your sloppy joes by toasting your buns until golden brown. Add ¼ - ½ cup of the filling on the heel of the bun (the bottom), then add pickles and onions, placing the crown of the bun on top. Serve immediately with extra tomato sauce if desired!